Tuesday, November 22, 2016

NORTON RECORDS

(This was written Thursday November17th)

Today is the 30th anniversary of @nortonrecords . Sadly, it is also the day that Billy Miller, co-founder of the label, is being laid to rest. Along with his wife and main lady of almost 40 years Miriam Linna, they founded Kicks Magazine in 1978, played in many bands together over the years, and in 1986 put out Hasil Adkins' "Out to Hunch", Norton's first release. Finding out about Norton Records literally changed my life. I would not be the little rock and roll freak I am without hearing the crazy awesome sounds this label put out over the years. And not only the sounds but the LINER NOTES!!! Seriously, Norton Records have some of the best goddamn liner notes ever written. You'd be hard pressed to find a pair that likes ROCK AND ROLL anymore than those two. ROCK SEXY would not exist without Norton Records. If you have ever listened to just one episode, you have most likely been fed a Norton treat or two. I can't even begin to list all the bands and artists I was exposed to via the Norton label. The only time I met them was when a friend helped me flag them down in a hotel lobby in New Orleans after the Ponderosa Stomp record show so I could get them to do a station ID. I'm sure they were *thrilled* to be bothered but they were super nice and cool about it and I use that ID all the time, I'm sure you have heard it before.
So obviously, tonight's ROCK SEXY will be a tribute to Billy Miller and Norton Records. But more than that, it will also be a tribute to Miriam for strength, a tribute to LOVE, and a tribute to ROCK AND ROLL, because the rock and roll spirit never dies.
I send nothing but strength and loving vibes out in the air for Miriam and Billy's friends and family, and the best way I know how to do that is to do that baddest ass "BILLY MILLER-MIRIAM LINNA-NORTON RECORDS-ROCK AND ROLL-AND-LOVE TRIBUTE ROCK SEXY" that I can, tonight at 10pm eastern time on 97.1 FM in Louisville and artxfm.com everywhere else.

Long live Norton Records-Where the loud sound abounds!

No comments:

Post a Comment